New charts based on correct xmax values, modelling all the PR15’s range : PR15-430, PR15-700, PR15-1050, PR15-1400.
– i’ve used always the same volume, 155L, with QA=50
– i don’t fully understand the relation between tuning frequency, box size, PR weight, etc …
I’ve used values that do not exceed the active driver XMAX, nor the PR’s XMAX, except in frequencies below 20Hz (still don’t understand how to optimize all the variables to guarantee best result)
Cone excursion PR:
Now, i really don’t know how to optimize all the variables, like type of PR, cabinet size, power input, what kind of HPF to use, etc …
As such, based on your experience and my requirements, what would you recommend for:
– PR model used (from the 15″ range) ?
– Box size, quantity of filling/dumping ?
– Input Power ?
– HPF to apply, to guarantee the safety of the both active and PR drives?
Thank you very much in advance, i really need your help to guarantee this project could be a success.
I understand you must be very busy, so i dont mind have to wait until you have the time to answer properly 🙂
It seems that i’ve made a mistake, and inserted the xmax p-p full value instead of using only the half value.
As such, my calculations are not totally correct 😥
I’m really needing some help here in order no optimize the design, with the requirements and constrains i have:
– Driver is an AV15X
– Due to cost saving, would like to use 15PR’s (don’t know whats the best weight to use)
– Would like to achieve a similar output of the SVS PB13 Ultra
– Can use bigger cabinets, but something between 155L to 180L would be ideal.
I’m think understand the basics for modeling in the WinISD, but my knowledge is limited so i would need some guidance in the cabinet/power requirements/PR’s specification in order to maximize the final result.
I’ve been running several models in WinISD Pro, using an AE AV15X, and two passive radiators.
I’ve used the information in this link for the data for the PR: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2378
I’ve used both 2 x 15″ and 2 x 18″, and the best results were obtained using :
– 2 x PR18-1600 – purple line
– 2 x PR15-700 – yellow line
I’ve used a 155L box, using a moderate amount of dumping (QA=30):
To be within the xmax of the AV15X, i used the following 900W of power:
SPL Results :
Cone excursion Results :
To guarantee that excursion dont exceed xmax, i suppose the following HPF would have to be used:
– With 2 x PR18-1600 – Around 12.8Hz
– With x PR15-700 – Around 13.64Hz
Cone excursion (PR) Results :
Using the HPF around the values suggested earlier, the PR’s would be very far for exceeding theirs xmax.
As i would have to import the PR’s, it would be much cheaper to use 2 x PR15-700, not only due to price, but mostly due to taxes that account for more than 30% of the final price.
Obviously, i’m just taking a few parameters into account, and there is probably much more i dont understand.
As such, would it be possible to validate my conclusions, and if possible, to improve them?
I can use larger boxes if needed, and use whatever power needed, but as explained, due to cost constraints, i would prefer to use 2 x PR15″ instead of the PR18″.