What are YOU listening to right now?

Posted In: The Off Topic Zone

paulspencer on #1758

I went out to hear some live music this weekend at a few different pubs, bars and clubs and the SPL and distortion of some of them were unbearable! 😯 I went into the toilet, rolled up some toilet paper and put it in my ears as ear plugs … ahhhhhhhhhh so much better!

I listened to some of the same type of music (some dance/electronica stuff with heavy bass) and was surprised at how clean they were even with about an inch of excursion! I have two AV12s running off a Behringer EP2500 and at one stage it was clipping so it must have been running at higher than 750w to each sub and they weren’t struggling. It takes very low bass to get those AV12s moving anywhere near xmax.

When I’m working, I find myself listening to a lot of dance music, I tend to work a bit faster! When I’m chilling out I might listen to some jazz though (Jamie Cullen, Natalie Cole, Harry Connick Jr), or some rock depending on the mood …

Anonymous on #1759

John, you raise an excellent point.

When we hear distorted sound, I think, it sounds louder than it is because the brain interprets the distortion as being caused by the EAR being overloaded, not the sound-reproduction system.

Of course, when a speaker produces distortion products as well as the signal being given to it, that is extra output…. but it may happen when the speaker is at its limit in terms of its own output. Nousaine probably knows more about this.

Studies have shown that distorted speech (I don’t recall the amount of distortion) can be more intelligible than nondistorted speech because the distortion products are higher in frequency than the fundamentals… and the distortion products may be in a frequency range where the ear is more sensitive.

Fun stuff!

Travis Gibby on #1760

Very true.

My car stereo is not the greatest. I perfer to spend my money on my home system as I don’t spend much time in my car anyways and getting good SQ in my home is certianly easier.

When I listen to Dark Side of the Moon in the car the steel guitar sounds shrill and ear piercing, even at relatively low volumes. When I listen to the same CD in my home, the sound is MUCH smoother. The high notes on the piano tend to sizzle in my car, in my home it’s a totaly different story. The sound from my car speakers is so bright that I actually turned the treble to -6 just so that the sound would be tollerable. Needless to say I have the car stereo turned off most of the time.

@WBurton wrote:

When we hear distorted sound, I think, it sounds louder than it is because the brain interprets the distortion as being caused by the EAR being overloaded, not the sound-reproduction system.

That’s an interesting idea. I always assumed that distorted signals are louder because of harmonics being generated for free, and just as you mentioned, the harmonics have a tendency to be in a region where are ears our more sensitive.

Travis

Angie38 on #1761

removed by moderator. user has been disabled on the forum.

Travis Gibby on #1762

Just a guess, but I think Angie might be a bot.

R. Buszka on #1763

Angie38: In the event you’re not a bot, realize that what you are doing is stealing advertising space on a privately-owned forum. Edit those ads out of your signature within 24 hours, or else you’ll probably be deleted for stealing forum space for your advertisements.

Travis, I’d say your assessment is better than just a guess…

dB, when you go through and delete Angie, delete these off-topic posts as well. Even the posts about subwoofer distortion are barely on-topic, and should probably be spun off into their own thread, since the topic is definitely a quality one and the info shouldn’t be lost. But they have othing to do with what music the poster is listening to.

Admin on #1764

This is about the 5th time someone has been on here with similar posts. Future wise i’ll just delete them and freeze the account. The other time I got to them before anyone saw them. 🙂

John

Admin on #1765

@paulspencer wrote:

When I’m working, I find myself listening to a lot of dance music, I tend to work a bit faster! When I’m chilling out I might listen to some jazz though (Jamie Cullen, Natalie Cole, Harry Connick Jr), or some rock depending on the mood …

New Jamie Cullum cd is pretty good. Joss Stone is another one of my favorite jazzy type cd’s.

John

ballasnt on #1766

@stryke wrote:

This is about the 5th time someone has been on here with similar posts. Future wise i’ll just delete them and freeze the account. The other time I got to them before anyone saw them. 🙂

John

You might want to jump on the most recent member. The name is pretty fishy… you know if the “poker online” name doesn’t scream bot, I don’t know what does.

On topic: I’m listening to Uriah Heep – “Sunrise” at the moment.

DAVECS1 on #1767

In any case, regarding distortion, you notice something that most people don’t realize when setting up some pro audio systems. Distortion makes things sound much louder. Makes sense, but not too many people think of it. The line array system I just setup at the Five Six club in town is quite low distortion. Other systems like the Servodrive TD1’s are also. You can be sitting 80ft away from the line array and think “this isn’t really all that loud” because it’s so clean. Then you turn and try to talk to the person next to you and you have to scream at the top of your lungs so they can hear you. 😀

John

I know this may be a little off topic, and my system is far from pro audio, but I must admit when I made the step to what I consider better equipment, I actually thought I was producing less volume. That was until I tried talking to my wife after she barged in to the HT asking why I was playing it so loud.

She admitted that the room did not sound that loud and that even at high volumes it was much easier to listen too. Many people percieve high volume with exhastive listning because that is all they have been subjected to.

To keep this on topic (somewhat), I find as my equipment gets better I find myself letting the credits roll so I can enjoy the music, Such as on Star Wars III[/quote]

Participant
    audioaficionado on #1768

Cryosleep – Zero Beat Guaranteed
    http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=105913&filename=playlist.pls
    Winamp 5.1
    Harmon-Kardon Sound Sticks II
    AC97 Codec w/onboard VIA 3059 chip.

Not audiophile quality but not too shabby sounding and trippy ambient music to listen to while browsing the forums.

mikeg on #1769

“In the Shadows of Motown” is always close at hand.

Anything from Jimmy Buffett or Little Feat. One of these is usually playing. Like now…
    Mike

ballasnt on #1770

Boston – “More than a Feeling”

R. Buszka on #1771

Those Soundsticks are not too shabby, indeed.

Now Playing: Trans-Siberian Orchestra. With all the traveling I’ve been doing, I haven’t had any time to enjoy my presents. This is certainly my longest Christmas ever.

I like Boston. I’ve been meaning to get some of their stuff.

ballasnt on #1772

Right now I’m listening to Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D minor.

http://www.last.fm is a really cool site to keep track of what you listen to and it gives recommendations to what you might like. It’s pretty cool when it registers the songs but sometimes it doesn’t. I like being able to see what songs people like by different artists. Here is a link that shows what I enjoy listening to:
    http://www.last.fm/user/immacomputer

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.