What are YOU listening to right now?

Posted In: The Off Topic Zone

R. Buszka on #96

This is a sound board, and most people who will come here probably enjoy listening to music. That’s just an assumption I’m making.

Right now, I’m listening to Trans Siberian Orchestra. It’s the season and all.

Other favorite bands: Thrice, Switchfoot, Casting Crowns, Five Iron Frenzy, Jeremy Camp

My tastes are broad and varied. You play it and I’ll listen. (Unless it’s one of those white-supremacist hate bands or something. Never really understood all that. I’d probably tell you to turn it off in that case.)

But this is not about me – this is about you. What are YOU listening to, right this moment?

TeeCee on #1744

Talk radio everyday all day since a hurricane tore my town up.

Electro and Breaks when I feel normal.

Participant
    audioaficionado on #1745

Winamp Shoutcast broadband streaming mp3 broadcast @ 160kbps
    P h i l o s o m a t i k a – 100% Psychedelic Trance – Get your stomp on!
    http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=7776&filename=playlist.pls

Isn’t high-end but sounds better than the local FM station or satillite radio.

dB on #1746

Thanks for the link – currently listening to:

Allegro (Sonata in A major for flute and harpsichord BWV 1032)-Laurel Zucker_spoken

on Shoutcast – one of the classical instrumental channels..

I need to set my office up with something better than a Klipsch multimedia 5.1 system. I’ll try hooking up RSX-5’s, and an RW-12 here in a while see how that sounds. Should be pretty spectacular for a computer settup.

Either that or I might need to design me some new computer speakers – they just won’t look as cool.

R. Buszka on #1747

Listening: Thrice – “All That’s Left” from The Artist In The Ambulance

Thrice is one of the more interesting up-and-comers in the Post-hardcore scene. Their latest, Vheissu, is one of the best CDs of the genre that I think I own. The previous Thrice albums all had a similar style to them, but Vheissu is a new direction entirely for the band and it rockets them to the top of my current playlist.

Scoobydoo on #1748

lately i have been listening to alot of bloodhound gang, mainly cause the mp3 disc is in my player so it just plays when i get in my car

chops on #1749

Wolfsheim, VNV Nation, Covenant, etc…. all of my industrial-goth mp3’s.

I have my file/web server connected to my main stereo with a 50′ DIY digital interconnect so all I have to do is use the remote desktop via my laptop to play whatever I want, whenever I want without leaving the sweet spot. 8)

JimRHIT on #1750

XMU – XM43
    Unkle – Eye for an Eye

DAVECS1 on #1751

Led Zepplin How the West Was Won SACD

Anonymous on #1752

John Gorka’s JACK’S CROWS. Gorka is a folk singer who writes incredibly touching lyrics…. about people, feelings, the personal and the universal.

Tom Rush………. TROLLING FOR OWLS…….. funny folk music and funny commentary…. if you like Tom Bodett, you’ll love Tom Rush… and the recording quality is superb.

HOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD….. music from the movies with singers such as Bing Crosby, Paul Robeson, Spike Jones, Roy Rogers, Debbie Reynolds, Marilyn Monroe, Fred Astaire, Pearl Bailey, and Dorothy Lamour….

SONY ES DIGITAL MASTERPIECE COLLECTION….. music by Mannheim Steamroller, Checkfield, and others.

IN THE DIGITAL MOOD, by the Glenn Miller Orchestra. Great music never dies… well, at least, I hope it doesn’t.

R. Buszka on #1753

Three 6 Mafia – the infamous “Late Nite Tip”.

LNT is an excellent bass testing track. Not my usual choice of listening material, but my roommate marvelled at how far it was able to make my AV12’s cone move. That’s it pictured in my avatar – and that bright spot is in fact a small dent. I’m such a mechanical genius that I dropped the allen wrench in the center when I was setting the T-nuts, which I didn’t wind up using anyhow. Exercise extreme care when working with aluminum cones not to put dents in them. Anyhow, bass that does more than just waffle your pants legs. w00t fo’ my homiez, and all that. “Ima” go get a drink of water.

Addendum: I just demonstrated the sub to my neighbors using LNT and they couldn’t believe what they were hearing – one of them commented that it was loud and low, and moved their pants legs around, but didn’t sound like crap. So I explained to him the large amounts of distortion that most subwoofers add to their sound, and how the AE Speakers driver is a high-quality part that only adds a fraction of the distortion that some other subs produce.

Anonymous on #1754

One interesting thing about subwoofer distortion; our ears are more sensitive to the distortion frequencies than to the frequencies that subwoofers SHOULD reproduce.

You all know that it’s hard to hear frequencies under 20 Hz unless they are REALLY loud. Since our ears are most sensitive to frequencies around 3,900 Hz, they are pretty darn INsensitive to real low bass…. which is sad… and a subwoofer that distorts 20 Hz can create harmonic distortion at 40, 60, 80, 100, 120 Hz, and on up…. and those distortion products are heard more easily than the fundamental.

Of course, this relates to the phenomenon of the missing fundamental, but I think most people would agree that distortion is bad.

R. Buszka on #1755

20th Century Masters – The Best of Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. These guys are amazing.

gonefishin on #1756

Hi guys…

Bought a few new Cd’s today (local recor shop is going out of business 50-70% off)

*Slide Hampton – Mellow-Dy

🙂

take care all>>>

dan

Admin on #1757

@WBurton wrote:

One interesting thing about subwoofer distortion; our ears are more sensitive to the distortion frequencies than to the frequencies that subwoofers SHOULD reproduce.

You all know that it’s hard to hear frequencies under 20 Hz unless they are REALLY loud. Since our ears are most sensitive to frequencies around 3,900 Hz, they are pretty darn INsensitive to real low bass…. which is sad… and a subwoofer that distorts 20 Hz can create harmonic distortion at 40, 60, 80, 100, 120 Hz, and on up…. and those distortion products are heard more easily than the fundamental.

Of course, this relates to the phenomenon of the missing fundamental, but I think most people would agree that distortion is bad.

Hi William, Haven’t officially said thank you for coming by the forum yet. 🙂

In any case, regarding distortion, you notice something that most people don’t realize when setting up some pro audio systems. Distortion makes things sound much louder. Makes sense, but not too many people think of it. The line array system I just setup at the Five Six club in town is quite low distortion. Other systems like the Servodrive TD1’s are also. You can be sitting 80ft away from the line array and think “this isn’t really all that loud” because it’s so clean. Then you turn and try to talk to the person next to you and you have to scream at the top of your lungs so they can hear you. 😀

John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.