What are YOU listening to -II Your System?

Posted In: The Off Topic Zone

dB on #99

I’ll see if we can’t modify our profiles section to accomodate – But am interested in users Systems – Home and Car..

dB Theater:

130″ 2.35 to 1 aspect DIY screen (120″ at 16×9, and 96″ at 3×4 aspect ratio’s)
    Yamaha DPX-1100 Mustang-II chip DLP
    Yamaha RXV-3000 reciever
    Yamaha S- 2300 MK-II Dvd
    Aaragon 3x 100 amp
    Klipsch THX Ultra-II full system with subs
    dB-MiniBeast (Also called Power 15 MK-II)
    theBeast mk-II

Living Room

Mitsubishi 55″ HiDeff widescreen
    RF-7’s

Desktop

Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1
    RSX-5 sats

Lying around un-used

Tons (about 5 in wall sets, half dozen quintets, and multi media speakers)

In car (slo4g63):

Alpine CDA-9835 Head
    No-Name 5 channel POS amp
    Klipsch RSX-3 sat’s hacked for front stage high
    Klipsch THX 525 proto Mid woofers in doors and rear

No Bass at moment.

Haven’t made my mind up on what to do with it – it’s my drag car.

R. Buszka on #1805

TV: Toshiba 20″ (20AF44) Flat CRT — no HDTV yet
    Receiver: Harman/Kardon AVR 335
    Old RCA 5-disc changer
    Even Older “Oritron” DVD player that screws up all the time

DIY MTM main speakers with buyout Def. Tech parts
    DIY Powered Subwoofer – AV12 Woofer, 3 cu.ft. enclosure with dual 15″ 1400G passive radiators, and 500W Parts Express class G amplifier

In my room, with Dolby Virtual Speaker, I hardly even miss having the surround speakers, but like everything else, I “eventually” want to get some surround speakers and a center channel done. I don’t have a projector, but what do you want? It’s just a dorm room. The music for the system is generally served from a computer cobbled together from all my old components in a cheap generic case:

Intel Celeron 500MHz
    192MB RAM
    Ensoniq AudioPCI sound card
    80GB Seagate 7200.7 hard drive — which now carries a 5-year warranty
    Windows 2000
    Winamp and Windows Media Player

It’s connected to the LAN, and can get music from the free but very sucky CDigix music service which provides subscription music services specifically to colleges, I think. The machine uses my TV as the display, and a cheap-crap wireless keyboard and mouse. When everything is working well, this setup is amazing, and it’s usually not hard to fix if it’s not working.

MxRacerCam on #1806

my cheap but effective HT…

infocus X1 projector
    DIY 72″ parkland screen
    RCA stav-3990 a/v reciever
    toshiba sd-3980 dvd player
    comcast/motorola high-def dvr
    RCA lineam monopole center channel
    wharfedale valdus 500 fronts
    wharfedale valdus 400 rears

in the car…

JVC kd-avx1 h/u with sirius
    phoenix gold eq215x eq/x-over
    soundstream vga.500 amp
    mb quart qsd components
    AE IB15 subs

JimRHIT on #1807

JW’s Theater

Panny AE900
    Vutec SilverStar 96″

Marantz SR7000
    Pioneer Elite DV-45A
    NAD 216THX

DIY MTM Vifa/Seas x 3
    JBL HB5000 15″ Subs
    Infinity TSS4000 Surrounds x2

Z-System

Pioneer AVIC-D1
    Klipsch RCW-3 “components” ๐Ÿ˜›
    Phoenix Gold M44
    JBL 1200.1
    Premier TSW-12PRS x 2

Scoobydoo on #1808

HOME:

Mitsubishi 40″ Tube
    Denon 2802
    Paradigm Atoms, CC-70, ADP-70
    Dynaco Stereo 400 300×2 running 2 12″ subs
    Proton AA-2080 120×2 running 2 10″ subs

HOME THEATER PC:
    Epox 8k7a+ mobo
    AMD 1600+ cpu
    512MB DDR2100
    80gb Seagate hard drive(networked to server with 1 terabyte of storage)
    Lite-On DVD-RW dvd burner
    ATI All-In-Wonder 7500 video card
    Philips Rythmic Edge sound card

CAR:
    2003 Mazda Protege 5
    Clarion ProAudio DRZ845MC
    A/D/S 236is components
    Kenwood Excelon 811D sub amp
    AV12 or AV 15 sub

The sub and components need to be installed still

gyoung on #1809

Room:
    36″ Toshiba TV
    Sansui G-7700 vintage receiver
    Fluance 6.5″ bookshelf speakers
    Source is usually toshiba p4 3.06 ghz laptop with philips external soundcard

Car:
    Clarion HX-D10
    Alphasonik PMA 150HCA
    Alphasonik PMA 2075A
    US Acoustics amp (for rear fill)
    Image Dynamics ID10D2 V.3 (1.7 cu. ft tuned to 27 hz)
    Infinity Kappa 6x9s
    Kappa 5 1/4″ components (one tweeter blown… needs replacing anyway)

Laying around:
    18″ B52 PA driver in a downfiring box roughly 8 cu ft tuned to 30 hz
    Vintage Kenwood KR-8xxx
    some KlH speakers
    late 90s Yamaha h/t receiver

gonefishin on #1810

Main System

Speakers: DIY EdgarHorns
    tweeters:Fane st5022
    midrange:JBL 2441 on 500Hz EdgarHorn “saladbowls”
    woofers:TAD 1601a drivers in a sealed 6cuft box

PreAmp:DEQX-p

Amplifiers:Cary 300se (tweeters)
    Aksa 25n+ (midrange)
    AKSA 100n+(woofers)

Source: Pioneer 563a modded by APL.

take care,
    dan

DAVECS1 on #1811

Phillips 60″ 60PW9363 (TV)
    Harman Kardon AVR510 (Reciever)
    Acoustic Energy AE1 Series II (Front Mains)
    AE1 Series II (Center)
    Acoustic Energy Aegis One (Surrounds)
    Cerwin Vega CVT300S 15″ (Powered Sub)
    1920 Denon DVD/SACD/CD
    Pioneer 563A DVD/SACDCD
    811 Dish HD Reciever
    SoundCraftsmen/MTX A400Pro Amplifier (for whatever)

Soon to come an AV12 DIY Sub ๐Ÿ˜€

dB on #1812

Buszka – E-mail me details of your DIY stuff. Glad to see people out there still rolling their own on occasion ๐Ÿ™‚

MxRacer – Nobody around here knocking Cheap (You’d cry if you had any idea what I had invested in mine – wouldn’t be surprised to find out have less in it than you do yours :)) How do you like those Lineams? I measured a bunch of those back in the day – lot of HF roll off, and some odd cancellation issues. Don’t have the data anymore. Pretty cool how broad their polar pattern is though. Makes for great off axis. I don’t have any experience with the Warf’s. You should send us pix of the I.B. 15’s in car. (Unless that was you in another thread who posted them – if so Nice install :))

Jimbo – I hate you now!! You got my screen. Actually I’m waiting for the flexible stuff so I can do the 130″ 2.35 up right. How do you like that stuff? I actually dreamt about it last night – talk about odd!! You still getting Kudo’s on the front stage in the Z? How those holding out?
    You need to do something about that home sub bub!! You know how to. Get on it. Make it perty this time though ๐Ÿ™‚

Scooby – Nice receiver. We gotta do something about that home sub friend ๐Ÿ™‚ How well does the HT PC work? I’m looking to pick up a new laptop for work stuff – and debating on making it useful for HT-PC duty’s. If so it’d have a decent vid card, about 3.4 gig processor, 2 gigs memory, and about 100 gigs on the HD with DVD-RW etc.. Or I could re-dedicating my desktop to Daughter Homework and HT-PC duties. It’s only 2.4 gigs, 512 mb ram, and POS cheapy vid card. Any recommendations?

gyoung – How do you like that US Acoustics amp? I’ve had good luck with them in the past. Loved mine. We might have to talk about replacing that ID10D2 some day!! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

GoneFishin – Man oh man what I would give to hear your EdgarHorns!! wOw. How you like them? For those of you who haven’t had the pleasure – well designed horns lend an immediacy, a you are there feeling to audio you can’t get anywhere else. Headroom is THE key to making something sound realistic.

DaveCS – We’re working on that as I type friend!! You’ll be more than happy.

Appreciate all of you taking the time out to give me an idea what you play with. Looks like we have more than a couple energetic, enthusiastic Audio-Geeks here. Glad to see it!!

DAVECS1 on #1813

Jimbo, can the AE900 do 1080i. I have been looking at projectors, but lamp life, Black levels, native resolutions, and a host of other nit picky items, have persuaded me.

All that said it would be nice to turn on a 90″ picture that does not need to be converged bi-monthly or have spiders and dust cleaned from the projection box.

JimRHIT on #1814

Deon,

You’d be suprised what the HB5000 subs can do. I live in a condo, so I can’t be shaking and quaking like I used to … aka my lil’ beast MkII (4×12 – 30+ft^3 quad 6″ port monster) I wish I could have that back ๐Ÿ™

The AE900 is “only” 720p … it downconverts/upconverts everything else … and does a fine job of doing so. So … the real answer to your question is no, but I don’t think you’d be complaining about it … the sealed optics and ease of use are nice … but I have never seen a better picure than a G90 at a show one time …

supposedly the new Sony Ruby will do it … but $9k+ ain’t my idea of a good purchase. You can pull an AE900 for ~$2000 w/ a 300 blockbuster card too.

dB on #1815

Jimbo-

You never answered – How’s the screen?

3.5 for the DPX ain’t a bad buy for sure ๐Ÿ™‚

MxRacerCam on #1816

@db wrote:

MxRacer – Nobody around here knocking Cheap (You’d cry if you had any idea what I had invested in mine – wouldn’t be surprised to find out have less in it than you do yours :)) How do you like those Lineams? I measured a bunch of those back in the day – lot of HF roll off, and some odd cancellation issues. Don’t have the data anymore. Pretty cool how broad their polar pattern is though. Makes for great off axis. I don’t have any experience with the Warf’s. You should send us pix of the I.B. 15’s in car. (Unless that was you in another thread who posted them – if so Nice install :))

i previously used the dipole lineams for my front L&R speakers, and was less than totally pleased with them. i had a funky living room layout at the time, though, so they were reasonably effective. now i’m just using the monople center channel with a good bit of success.

warfs are very loud and reasonably clear, especially for the price.

yes, that was my car in the other thread, and thanks! ๐Ÿ˜‰

simon5 on #1817

Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra with Mission M30 at front, I put the two other Klipsch sats at the rear so each rear channel power two speakers, so now full system is 8 ohms, except the center channel. I might sell the M30s, sound improvement isn’t that much and I lost headroom.

gyoung on #1818

the us acoustics amp is alright… something started to hum after the car was sitting for awhile.. don’t know if it’s the amp or the head unit right now. I don’t drive the car enough to mind only having the id10d2 but in the future maybe when i get a job i’ll upgrade the whole setup… something like two av12s sealed sounds good

To my surprise the alphasonik amp sounded a lot better than the us acoustics amp on the components. I bought both of the alphasonik amps without hearing them before but it seems to have payed off since i got both at $100 each

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.