Used AV15X

• Participant
    neo2015 on #1352

I’m looking to build a subwoofer for maximum accuracy and speed, and not max SPL.
    This requirements made me look to the AE drivers, as they are renowned by is great accuracy and fidelity.

Unfortunately, AE doesn’t produce the AV line anymore.
    Fortunately, i manage to found an opportunity to buy an AV15X (in an excellent condition) from a respectable and trusty member, and i’m really inclined to accept it.

My only concern is that the driver already has 4 years and i really dont know what is the expected life time of a driver with the characteristics of the AE AV15X.
    As the driver is in excellent condition, and its been moderately used, how many years should i expect the driver to “live” ?

Participant
    neo2015 on #11353

I’ve been running several models in WinISD Pro, using an AE AV15X, and two passive radiators.
    I’ve used the information in this link for the data for the PR: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2378

I’ve used both 2 x 15″ and 2 x 18″, and the best results were obtained using :
    – 2 x PR18-1600 – purple line
    – 2 x PR15-700 – yellow line

PR Details:

I’ve used a 155L box, using a moderate amount of dumping (QA=30):

To be within the xmax of the AV15X, i used the following 900W of power:

SPL Results :

Cone excursion Results :

To guarantee that excursion dont exceed xmax, i suppose the following HPF would have to be used:
    – With 2 x PR18-1600 – Around 12.8Hz
    – With x PR15-700 – Around 13.64Hz

Cone excursion (PR) Results :

Using the HPF around the values suggested earlier, the PR’s would be very far for exceeding theirs xmax.

As i would have to import the PR’s, it would be much cheaper to use 2 x PR15-700, not only due to price, but mostly due to taxes that account for more than 30% of the final price.

Obviously, i’m just taking a few parameters into account, and there is probably much more i dont understand.
    As such, would it be possible to validate my conclusions, and if possible, to improve them?
    I can use larger boxes if needed, and use whatever power needed, but as explained, due to cost constraints, i would prefer to use 2 x PR15″ instead of the PR18″.

Participant
    neo2015 on #11354

It seems that i’ve made a mistake, and inserted the xmax p-p full value instead of using only the half value.
    As such, my calculations are not totally correct 😥

I’m really needing some help here in order no optimize the design, with the requirements and constrains i have:
    – Driver is an AV15X
    – Due to cost saving, would like to use 15PR’s (don’t know whats the best weight to use)
    – Would like to achieve a similar output of the SVS PB13 Ultra
    – Can use bigger cabinets, but something between 155L to 180L would be ideal.

I’m think understand the basics for modeling in the WinISD, but my knowledge is limited so i would need some guidance in the cabinet/power requirements/PR’s specification in order to maximize the final result.

Participant
    neo2015 on #11355

New charts based on correct xmax values, modelling all the PR15’s range : PR15-430, PR15-700, PR15-1050, PR15-1400.

PR Details:

Box Details:
    – i’ve used always the same volume, 155L, with QA=50
    – i don’t fully understand the relation between tuning frequency, box size, PR weight, etc …

Signal details:
    I’ve used values that do not exceed the active driver XMAX, nor the PR’s XMAX, except in frequencies below 20Hz (still don’t understand how to optimize all the variables to guarantee best result)

SPL Chart:

Cone excursion:

Cone excursion PR:

Now, i really don’t know how to optimize all the variables, like type of PR, cabinet size, power input, what kind of HPF to use, etc …

As such, based on your experience and my requirements, what would you recommend for:

– PR model used (from the 15″ range) ?
    – Box size, quantity of filling/dumping ?
    – Input Power ?
    – HPF to apply, to guarantee the safety of the both active and PR drives?

Please find the WinISD projects here : https://meocloud.pt/link/f498d1cf-3b8c-4cee-acbb-2cccfc8f0eda/AV15X.zip

Thank you very much in advance, i really need your help to guarantee this project could be a success.
    I understand you must be very busy, so i dont mind have to wait until you have the time to answer properly 🙂

Best regards !!!

Participant
    Muser on #11356

neo2015:

Just to keep you company, I have two AV15D ran as sealed subs, in 2.1^ft, 3.5^ft and 4.4^ft cabinets.

They’re fantastic, seem very robust at this point (three years in?) and I am pleased as punch with them.
    I supposes sub drivers are like tires, it’s not the number of miles but the kind of miles. I see and hear nothing
    that makes me think mine are running out of life.

Perhaps I’m not the right person to answer your questions, but I think you can do very well with the AV15s
    with or without passive radiators. First time I played the Polar Express scene where the train hits the ice
    after being on just two wheels, I thought someone hit the side of our house! It was awesome, after I confirmed
    our house was OK.

I found having a lot of power and using the amplifier carefully has worked well. I have a QSC RMX2450, when
    run bridged (2,400 watts?) on one sub, it was frighteningly good. In stereo it’s a mere 750 watts, and the sound
    is merely very good, rather than frighteningly awesome.

Sort of wish (not really) my subs needed replacing because then I could noodle around with drivers again.
    I think AES makes a very good product and Stryker rates his work conservatively.

Cheers,

Larry

Participant
    neo2015 on #11357

@muser,

thank you vey much for your detailed reply.

In the end, i did not buy the used AV15X (although it was in fantastic condition), because i’m planing to build two subwoofers, and wouldn’t be able to get another AV15X.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.