TD18 Pro Sub

Posted In: Lambda Drivers

• Participant
    Zedguy on #1306

A friend of mine got married on Saturday and I provided the music. It was on short notice (DJ bailed a week previous) so I threw a system together consisting of a pair of TD15X Apollo I had in sealed boxes, 1″ compression tweeters and a 7 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 29 Hz for the TD18. I only had time to build one, second one waiting to be assembled. I used a DCX to filter at 20 Hz and 100 Hz and fed it with a bridged Crown K2.

This single sub filled a pretty good sized room with clean effortless in your chest bass on dance music material and brought detail to bass in “quality” recordings. Generally I find people could care less about sound quality yet I had no less than 10 people approach me and ask why this system sounded so good. At least half of these were women, who would have guessed. Anyway just a small review for anyone interested how these things sound in a pro environment. Can’t wait to finish the second and run them for their intended purpose driven by 10 watt triode tube amps to fill out the bottom of sealed Tannoy 15 concentrics.

Face on #11219

Cool story!

Why would you want to power subs with triode amps? Seems like a bit of a waste, why not power the Tannoys with the triodes and use a pro or plate amp for the subs? I’m currently using Manley Mahi monos on SEOS-24’s with pro amps on my TD15-M and 15S, and it sound fantastic.

Participant
    Zedguy on #11218

While I would love to use SS amps for the sub (really more of a woofer as they will cross as high as 150 hz) portion it is impossible to get it to sound right. Due to different gain factors when mixing amplifiers the combination only sounds correct at one point on the volume knob. The other option is to use SS amps on the Tannoys as well but I don’t think I could live without the tube sound.

Participant
    stryke on #11220

While the DCX2496 isn’t the best DSP unit, it can do the processing you need for both the woofer and tops. I would use it to perform the crossover for both and set your levels accordingly.

Participant
    Zedguy on #11221

Hi John,

Not a question of level matching but when using amplifiers that are not IDENTICAL they will only be correct at one point on the volume dial.

Face on #11222

@zedguy wrote:

Hi John,

Not a question of level matching but when using amplifiers that are not IDENTICAL they will only be correct at one point on the volume dial.

That is not always true. No issues with level matching using Wyred 4 Sound SX-500 monos with Crown XTi 2002 or using Manley Mahi Monos with the same Crown amps.

Only years ago I had an issue, it was using a ST-70 and McIntosh 2125 and I experienced what you’ve described above.

Participant
    Zedguy on #11223

Think I will take your advice and try a variety of SS amps on the bottom and perhaps find a good combination.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.