TD15M + BMS 4550 on QSC waveguide

Is_Gen on #1127

Here’s what my TD15M pair calls “home”.

5 cubic feet of net internal volume, golden ratio dimensions and bottom vent to get a bit of vertical quarter-wave mode reinforcement. Initial Fb=32Hz, but might be adjusted after a subjective evaluation. All 18mm BB-ply with double-thick front and rear baffles. Simple finish with 8 coats of wipe-on poly. I just got done building these and will do the crossover actively via a 2×4 miniDSP.

They’ll look even better once I get the phase plugs. 😉

IG

simon5 on #10660

Very nice looking !

Great wood working, simple design but it works and looks good.

How does that sounds ? 8)

Is_Gen on #10659

@simon5 wrote:

Very nice looking !

Great wood working, simple design but it works and looks good.

How does that sounds ? 8)

Thanks! I’m slowly getting better at building good enclosures, I made rabbet-joints on this one with my router. There are a few oops and d’ohs on the finishing, but I can live with that, the basic box is solid.

They sound pretty good, although I wish my room was larger, as these really wake-up with some power, but it’s quite deafening by then. 🙂 They’re still good at low levels. With ~4.5cf of net volume and Fb=32Hz, I’m getting a smooth LF roll-off, which complements the room, keeps things from being boomy in there. These are bi-amped and the miniDSP 2×4 is a great little toy. I’ve struck a decent balance of bass extension and punch with this system IMO, the Lambda woofers are great drivers. Still waiting on the phase-plugs to finish optimizing the crossover. The BMS 4550 is excellent as well, I’ve played it on other waveguides before (K-Tubes, DIY Smith horns) and it’s also very good on the QSC. Sounds better than the Al/Ti diaphragm drivers I own.

IG

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.