Subwoofers….. from what’s currently for sale?

Posted In: Subwoofers 101

jim0000 on #1024

Are there still plans to bring the AV series back into production? I know there were some technical issues slowing things down.

Can anyone remind me what the primary differences are between the AV and TD series – in terms of subwoofer applications? I seem to recall that the AV drivers (at least some?) had stronger motors and higher x-max.

Anyone built a sub with TD drivers — since AV aren’t currently available?

simon5 on #10175

AV line has much more Xmax than the TD line, 23mm versus about 14mm (except the TDM line).

Power handling is double, 1000W versus 500W, but it’s also less efficient, less sensitive.

Lower Fs and lower Vas, much better suited for subwoofer duties, especially in smaller enclosures.

You can still make awesome subwoofers with the TD line, you will preferably need large boxes on the other hand.

TD line has a better top end, so they are better suited if you want your subwoofer to play as a midwoofer and even midrange, if you put one driver per speaker.

Yes, the AV line will be back in production, but it’s not a top priority since John is fully loaded with current TD line orders.

jim0000 on #10176

@simon5 wrote:

AV line has much more Xmax than the TD line, 23mm versus about 14mm (except the TDM line).
    Power handling is double, 1000W versus 500W, but it’s also less efficient, less sensitive.
    Lower Fs and lower Vas, much better suited for subwoofer duties, especially in smaller enclosures.
    You can still make awesome subwoofers with the TD line, you will preferably need large boxes on the other hand.
    TD line has a better top end, so they are better suited if you want your subwoofer to play as a midwoofer and even midrange, if you put one driver per speaker.
    Yes, the AV line will be back in production, but it’s not a top priority since John is fully loaded with current TD line orders.

Appreciate the detailed info. After I posted, I saw that the efficiency was pretty different between AV and TD….. but what really was surprising was the difference in Fs. The AV tend to be around 10hz lower.

Would be nice to see the AV series again this year! Hard to beat the low Fs, high excursion and low distortion.

simon5 on #10177

Closest you can get to the AV line it’s the TD15H. Even lower distortion than the AV line, but it can’t beat lower Fs, Vas, and more Xmax and powerhandling of the AV line.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.