Sub woofer for esl 57

Posted In: Lambda Drivers

ESL John on #1269

Hello All
    I have recently returned to using my hifi, and would like to pick up on a topic I investigated in the past, adding to it a DIY element. Firstly I am a technical no hoper, but have no fear of building a enclosure and producing a aesthetically pleasing device.
    Mirror Polished 401 Martin Bastin Bearing, SME IV, Self Built Laminated Granite Plinth 54Kg, WAD Amps Mirror Polished.
    Self built Granite shelved turned wood stands. ESL 57. A very long term build of Monoblock 845 Push pull Amps in the process of being built by Theo Agariadis.
    If I remember correctly, I was investigating a REL Subwoofer as well.
    The list should help to see where I took my system to, before it was wrapped up and put away at the time of a house move.
    Please note it is many years since these items have been used, it is now time to bring this enjoyable experience back into a regular part of My Wifes and My life.
    I was hoping that there may be a Sub Woofer design of a Dipole or Open Baffle, that I could look into building. It will be used to compliment the bottom end of the ESL 57. Now I am taking a serious view on Hifi, I seem to feel I would like revisit a Old Ambition to build a Full Range Open Baffle speaker, so I would be interested to find out if it is practical to have a separate Stand alone Sub Woofer that could be used in both set ups.
    I don’t mind starting with cheaper drivers and upgrading as my knowledge and listening experience grows.
    Any input is welcome and look forward to any wisdom.

John

Participant
    stryke on #11102

Hi John,

It is possible to do specific open baffle subwoofers. Keep in mind that you need a lot of displacement from the drivers to compensate from the baffle rolloff. For this reason, many choose to work at achieving 30hz as a low end point. If you wish to go lower, it requires more displacement and often many drivers. Either a tower type design with multiple woofers or an H or U frame could be used for this purpose. Starting with good drivers, then adding more to increase output as needed is an ideal solution. Making something along the lines of the woofer section in MJK’s reference design here could work well. You could make one module for a Dipole15 or Dipole18 per channel. Then add in more modules as needed. I have several people doing 4x Dipole15’s per channel when they wish to achieve 20-25hz extension.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project10/Project10.html

-John

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.