LO15 with SEOS-18 CD waveguides

jeroenkv on #1151

Hi,
    After good experiences with LO15 and SEOS-15 combination in dipole I wanted to take things one step further. SEOS-18 is one step better regarding CD in the 800hz region. I also wanted to have a more (super-) cardioid patern in the low/mid region to match SEOS-18. The LO15 is now housed in a resistance enclosure inspired by http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/anukaa/CardSub/CARDSUB.html

This arrangement outperforms previous SEOS-15 dipole setup in bass extension, bass pressure and ease of placement without losing the advantages of a dipole. Also integration between woofer and waveguide is much better.

Excellent solution I’m very happy with!
    Jeroen

simon5 on #10721

Wow, that looks like very complicated, but congratulations, nice work ! 8)

dbo on #10722

Hello Jeroen, looks very interesting for spaces with less free area behind speakers. From my experience, such spaces are not able to develop full dipole potential so it is indeed better to also try other approaches.
    This resistance enclosure seem like something that Gradient speakers use in their Revolution model, also for purpose of having cardioid response.

Have you been using EQ with previous dipole configuration?

jeroenkv on #10724

Yes, I first used a dipole configuration with DSP. This cardioid alignment has a directivity pattern that has a better match to a waveguide / horn. Goal was constant directivity and good integration, below 200hz it acts as a dipole again.

dbo on #10725

Perhaps I’ll try something like that in the future for a different system and a room. Do you still use DSP with this cabinet?

jeroenkv on #10723

Yes, below 200hz it acts like dipole, so I have to boost below that frequency. I like dipole bass very much, but also want to have good integration. This alignment gives both and it has the other advantage that cardioid can presurize the room like a monopole. Concept has both advantages of a dipole and monopole.

You can experiment by putting damping material behind the woofers. It has to damp back wave for say 10db to already have a cardioid pattern matching your waveguide. Like done here:
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/195870-el-cuerno.html
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/192737-2-way-waveguide-cardioid-like.html

Of course you have to make some changes to your crossover.

Participant
    RyanC on #10726

I was looking at doing something similar, I’m also curious if you are using dsp and how low they go without eq? Thanks

jeroenkv on #10727

Yes, I’m using MiniDSP board to filter and EQ. To get 50hz in room I boost 7db with Q= 0,5. This alignement acts as a dipole <200hz.

jeroenkv on #10728

Frequency curve at 15 degree, no smoothing:

[attachment=0:8ni7txtj]15 graden (none).jpg[/attachment:8ni7txtj]

cookiemonster on #10729

Nice!

Are you able to share polar response plots, crossover design and box design?

I´m tempted to try to build one myself. 🙂

Did you try corner placement (with 45 degree toe-in)?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.