LO15 with SEOS-15 CD waveguides

jeroenkv on #1030

Hello,
    I combined the LO15 with B&C DE250 compression drivers in the CD SEOS-15 waveguide made by Autotech. These waveguides match directivity patern of the LO15 very good. The LO15 covers the 40 – 800hz range in an Open Baffle, an excellent driver for this job! I never have heared a more coherent and involving system (maybe some ESL / planars, but this setup is more involving). A real “live” like experience.

About driver / waveguide integration, this is interesting: http://www.pispeakers.com/Pi_Speakers_Info.pdf (especially page 13)

If you are planning to use waveguides these AE models are excellent.

BR, Jeroen

Participant
    moody on #10221

Interesting project! Some more info and pics woud be great!!

simon5 on #10222

Very nice speaker build, I like your project, it must sound great ! 8)

Nothing bad to say about that waveguide ?

simon5 on #10223

@jeroenkv wrote:

About driver / waveguide integration, this is interesting: http://www.pispeakers.com/Pi_Speakers_Info.pdf (especially page 13)

I just finished reading this paper. VERY interesting, thank you ! 8)

jeroenkv on #10224

The only thing that you always can complain about regarding waveguides is that you want them to go lower! On the others hand than issues arrive at the high frequencies. Anyway integration with the LO15 is excellent, so I think the SEOS-15 is the optimum waveguide.

It is a real different way of listening to music when CD is applied, much more detail due to lower room influences. It just sounds like it should to be, not over detailed or shouting, but very involving.

Measurement of the SEOS-15 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/166312-waveguides-horns-60.html

simon5 on #10225

Where are the measurements in the thread ? I see many of them, but can’t pinpoint SEOS 15…

jeroenkv on #10226

Page 60 at THE top. SEOS-15 with DE250 hoizontal and vertical

simon5 on #10227

Only 19 pages in the thread for me since I show 50 posts per page hehe ! 8)

I think I found it at post #591. Looks nice for sure.

jeroenkv on #10228

Yes you are right! Sorry! 8)

dbo on #10229

Hello Jeroen & all,
    this project is the first that I see being almost the same in material as mine, only difference is I’ll use 2 LO15s per channel.

How to determine exact distance from tweeter and bass?

For a start, I plan to use bass up to 1.25kHz, and SEOS from 1KHz upwards,
    both with active 48dB Butterworth.

I’ve tried to determine distance with tolvan.com xDir, but could not detect
    any difference between minimum possible distance of 275mm to next practical
    distance of 300 mm…

Is there an issue at all in this situation or I just need to position them as close as possible?
    I would appreciate every help I can get on this.

Jeroen, do you also have any photos of the rear of the horn mounted in the baffle?

Thank you,
    dbo

simon5 on #10230

Usually, as close as possible is best, but you can also experience some reflection from the woofer in the waveguide, so it may need some tweaking.

Also, I suggest looking at a 2.5 way, because two drivers playing full range up to 1.25 kHz may sound directional a bit, on the other hand, you can try them full range too, and check what you prefer.

dbo on #10231

Thank you Simon,
    I’ll then go for smallest practical distance. Problem is once you determine positions of driver and horn cutouts on the baffle there is no longer a possibility for tweaking.

I’ll surely try 2.5 way when time comes, do you have any filter suggestions for a lower 15″ driver?

simon5 on #10232

Usually, you try to match the baffle step, so everything else need less EQ.

That means it depends on baffle width, but also positionning in the room, either against a wall, in a corner, or standing several feet in front of wall.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.