Dual TD12S for center speaker

simon5 on #6618

Well, since I’m 27, I tend to be careful when giving advice to grown men doing Masters in electricity. I’m only a young Computer engineer with a big interest in audio. For example, your soldering skills are much better than mine ! 8)

mfishmike on #6619

@simon5 wrote:

Well, since I’m 27, I tend to be careful when giving advice to grown men doing Masters in electricity. I’m only a young Computer engineer with a big interest in audio. For example, your soldering skills are much better than mine ! 8)

What a kind statement…. 😛

Simon5…

I have 4 basic elements I use with electronics soldering: clean conductors, clean board, a good soldering pencil, and 4% silver solder for lower soldering temps and better connections. A couple of passes with all of these properties applied and the solder will do the rest for you and you can be as good as the best.

I also solder (braze) steel, stainless steel, cast iron, and do mig and stick welding. Each has their own unique techniques with cast iron being one of the toughest to do to obtain a nice and strong weld.

I’m on page 42 figuring the load of 7 ranges in a Chinese restaurant that is partially gas….wanna help out? I hope to test within the next 10 days.

Mike

simon5 on #6620

@mfishmike wrote:

I’m on page 42 figuring the load of 7 ranges in a Chinese restaurant that is partially gas….wanna help out? I hope to test within the next 10 days.

Mike

Go ahead… 3 phased 600V input or ? 8)

mfishmike on #6621

@simon5 wrote:

@mfishmike wrote:

Mike

Go ahead… 3 phased 600V input or ? 8)

I tried that and I now own the charred restaurant.

At 27, you are very smart in the audio field. I would hang with that. I’m somewhat a computer buff as well but enjoy the audio much more. John should be very proud to have you aboard.

Hey, I’m sending a pic. You were supposed to send me an 11″ hole or a driver compression tool to make the driver fit! You sure let me down! I’ll finish it up this weekend after my exam testing on Friday. I sent John an email thanking him for such a great looking pair of drivers…..Cheers :mrgreen:

simon5 on #6622

You could rent a 2 tons press at your local garage, you know those that they use to install wheel bearings into spindles… :mrgreen:

Don’t know what’s the cost to send a hole by UPS, I think we ran out, would have to order overseas and they would rape us with brokerage fees, even if it has negligible mass… 😆

Good luck on your exam, I like electricity alot, almost went in electrical engineering instead of computer engineering. We have a common trunk so I know some things in electricity too. Maybe I could help you out ! 😛

mfishmike on #6623

Simon5,

As I read the information pertaining to warranty issues for the Lambda drivers, I noticed this line in reasons for non warrantied items:
    “Speakers with silicone caulk used for gasket material”

I normally like to use silicone between the rubber gaskets and the baffel for a tighter seal. Is this acceptable? Do the fumes cause a problem for the drivers? These are beautiful works of art…. 8)

I installed my new 11″ holes and hope to have the center speaker finished today. I missed the exam only by 5 points, so I’ll go back in a couple of weeks and give it another shot. I got very close.

Participant
    stryke on #6624

@mfishmike wrote:

Simon5,

As I read the information pertaining to warranty issues for the Lambda drivers, I noticed this line in reasons for non warrantied items:
    “Speakers with silicone caulk used for gasket material”

I normally like to use silicone between the rubber gaskets and the baffel for a tighter seal. Is this acceptable? Do the fumes cause a problem for the drivers? These are beautiful works of art…. 8)

As silicone cures, it gives of an acid that will deteriorate the foam surrounds, glue joints, etc. We always use a closed cell foam weatherstripping to seal when the driver is installed. usually 3/8″ wide by 3/16″ thick or something along those lines. The stuff you get at home depot works fine.

John

mfishmike on #6625

Thanks John,

Always learning….I’m fixing to mount them right now. I’ve used the Audience Auric interconnect wire and 4% silver solder.

I’ll have to rework my grill but it’s all going to be worth it. I hope to post some pics later today.

Thanks again,
    Mike

mfishmike on #6626

I’m finally done and tested it with my cheap shop cd player and amp. I’ll never buy another cheap driver again!
    This is one tremendous sounding center speaker. I have the crossover at 500 hz. This speaker has so much musical quality by itself that it is hard to beleive. I can only imagine what a pair would sound like as mains! This weighs 130 lbs with the grill.

I just tested it in the HT with DTS Eagles album and the vocals and instruments are fantastic. I’m glad I’ve got the Lambdas in all 3 front speakers now. Quite the premium system.

Lambdas Rule! :mrgreen:

Folks would die to have a pair of these for monitors or mains.

I’ll have it in the system this evening and will have to modify the grills due to the larger drivers.

Thanks again John! Keep up the good work!!! ❗

simon5 on #6627

Very nice work ! 8)

Glad that you like them, and good luck for your next try in your exam.

mfishmike on #6628

Thank you Simon5…(I test again Wednesday)….

I felt I need to make a last post to this center speaker build thread after listening to my system for the past 3 hours. I listened to Eric Clapton’s 2007 Crossroad album. I listened to it at 100 dB all the way through, distortion free, and I am so happy!

I am completely astonished and overwhelmed at the final results.

The power, the clarity and detail in my speakers, and having such a large and capable speaker array is somthing to cherish, behold, and be so thankful for. My system which is finally completed after several years of building, changing out drivers and gear, testing new equipment; and the disappointments along with the highs I’ve endured during all of my builds is finally over.

I’ve just experienced an all time high and satisfaction after listening to this album with my new center speaker installed. This a personal goal that I set for myself years back; a system I could be happy with.

I wanted great, but couldn’t afford to buy the marked up fancy enclosures at the high end audio stores which I don’t think sound as good as mine do, and I have achieved a great satisfaction with my DIY speakerbuilding. I encourage everyone to don’t give up if a build fails. Like Diana Krall sings, “Just do it again!”

After the addition of the very nice center speaker, I’ve noticed a complete “concert like” soundstage that I never knew that I could get out of a home theater. I bitstreamed my OPPO BD83 through my Denon 5308CI(A) and the performance was in 1080p with 7 channel DTS surround.

One suggestion I have for each one of you during your home theater build, is to have a very capable center speaker because today’s material and decoding sends so much information to that speaker now. I used to be a “stereo only” guy when it came to music concerts, but that has changed. Movies are equally as good.

Today is the first day since I’ve finished it that I could sit for 3 hours cranked up and really enjoy that front row, center chair reference point I refer to sometimes in my posts. At 100 dB, it was breath taking. I wanted to go on up to 120 dB to push the limits of my subwoofer, but that would have been both stupid and could cause hearing damage, not to say that 100 db won’t.

The Lambda drivers are what makes my system sound so well along with John’s mdf flat passive radiators. There are none any better. Many thanks to both John and Simon5.

simon5 on #6629

That’s nice, Clapton is not for me, but I understand your joy in listening to music distortion free and loud. It’s a real pleasure to me also. Can’t never get enough of it ! 8)

Good luck on your wednesday exam !

mfishmike on #6630

@simon5 wrote:

That’s nice, Clapton is not for me, but I understand your joy in listening to music distortion free and loud. It’s a real pleasure to me also. Can’t never get enough of it ! 8)

Good luck on your wednesday exam !

Simon,

Ahh, I listen to a lot of different stuff. It was the 2004 Ft. Worth concert with many, many musicians. It’s an awesome double disc DVD set.

I must say again that these 6 Lambdas in my fronts and center are fantastic! I am so happy with them!! They get better by the day! 😛

I passed my Texas Masters Electrical exam! Thanks for your support. A lot of doors have just opened up for me…..not just sure which one to use it yet…….

Mike

allumirati on #6631

@mfishmike wrote:

Dual 4 ohm series wired TD12s Lambdas with Davis Kevlar 6.5″ midrange and Hi Vi RT2II tweet

The TD6M will be available soon :P.

simon5 on #6632

@mfishmike wrote:

A lot of doors have just opened up for me…..not just sure which one to use it yet…….

Mike

Take the front door ? 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.