Dipole 18 voice coil question

kirbyt on #1288

Hi, I received my drivers some time ago and have implemented them, during such I came to realize the coils are 6ohm?? My understanding was that they were 16 ohm on the dipole 18’s. I’m not sure at this point if I’ve received the correct drivers that I ordered? Please advise thanks Travis

Face on #11160

How are you measuring the impedance? If using a basic DVM, a reading of 6ohms is normal for an 8ohm nominal driver.

kirbyt on #11162

Yes a basic dvm and I’m getting 6ohms per coil, maybe this is normall for these but my understanding was they should be 8ohm coils. Running either 16ohm or 4ohm depending on configuration. Right now I’m either 12ohm or 3ohm depending?

kirbyt on #11163

Did you mean to say 6ohms is normall for 8ohm nominal driver? My guess is this is the case, just threw me off a bit. Thanks

Face on #11164

@kirbyt wrote:

Did you mean to say 6ohms is normall for 8ohm nominal driver? My guess is this is the case, just threw me off a bit. Thanks

Yes, that’s exactly what I meant.

Participant
    stryke on #11161

Yes, 6ohm is normal for the measured DC resistance of a 8ohm nominal coil. Resistance or impedance changes at all frequencies going to it’s highest point at the resonant frequency of the woofer. The woofer is given a nominal or average rating. An 8ohm coil should be in the range of 5-7ohm typically. I don’t have a graph of the Dipole18 but here is one of the LO15 with dual 8ohm coils in parallel for 4ohm nominal. DC resistance is about 3ohm and the impedance peaks to almost 45ohm at Fs.

In the car audio industry they cheat this often times. A 4ohm woofer will often have a DC resistance of 5ohm or more actually making it an 8ohm nominal woofer. It is a way to keep people from burning up woofers. They falsely believe they are putting 1000W into a 4ohm woofer and in reality are putting 500W into an 8ohm woofer. It saves on their woofer failures. We don’t do this. We actually want the appropriate amount of power to be delivered to our woofers.

kirbyt on #11165

Thanks for the explanation

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.