Buying my sub tommorrow, John better answer the phone;)

Scoobydoo on #106

I finally finished my christmas shopping and it turns out I have enough left over to buy my sub:)

Tommorrow I am calling John and driving over to AE(if he will let me) and buying a AV12 or AV15 for my car, depends on what he recommends

Also having him build me a box that will make everyone I meet/know wonder how I can get that much SQ and SPL from a single sub(SQ is the main concern though)

I know he can do it and I can’t wait:)

dB on #1966

@scoobydoo wrote:

I finally finished my christmas shopping and it turns out I have enough left over to buy my sub:)

Tommorrow I am calling John and driving over to AE(if he will let me) and buying a AV12 or AV15 for my car, depends on what he recommends

Also having him build me a box that will make everyone I meet/know wonder how I can get that much SQ and SPL from a single sub(SQ is the main concern though)

I know he can do it and I can’t wait:)

John and I are in Chicago today. Unfortunately, while we’re working to bring product in to fill the store -we won’t have time for box building.

How much air space do you have?

R. Buszka on #1967

People here can help with the box-design, and the building part is the easy part.

Scoobydoo on #1968

i talked to him a few weeks ago about a box, he said he could cut it and i would assemble it, i dont have the tools to cut it is all

gonna bring my car in to you guys when you have time so he can take a look and tell me whats best

dB on #1969

At the moment – we won’t have the time. We will let you know if he will be available to help with it in the future – however as buska said – there are other resources you may be able to tap into earlier. AE is currently in the process of a metaporphasis at the moment – and this will be consuming 200% of our time and attention for the nearterm foreseable future.. Custom box building is something we won’t be doing in the future – and right now we don’t have the time for. I don’t mean to sound brusk – realistically TODAY we can’t entertain the idea.

Scoobydoo on #1970

WOW

ok so what your saying is when he told me 2/3 weeks ago, dont know the exact date, that he could make a box for my car and sell me an av12 or av15 and cut a box for me it was full of shit?

i was gonna call today, but i saw in the CS thread you were gonna be in chicago so i didnt, but if you have no time for personal customer service then maybe i need to take my business elsewhere..

sorry you dont have time, i’m not asking it be done within a few days, even within a week, but to say you wont even do it is poor CS

i just want to buy the sub, design it the way you guys feel it should sound best in my car and then pay you for it, but christ if you cant even help a local fellow out what the hell…

sorry if i was in error, i will find another place to spend my money i suppose:(

R. Buszka on #1971

No need for the overreaction. I’ve been talking with Deon for the past two weeks to get an understanding of what AE Speakers is going through, and you ought to have more respect for what AE Speakers is doing. Box-design and building on the CNC router is something that John doesn’t have any time to do anymore, and this has been the case pretty much since John fired his employees some time ago. (He had a good reason, too – they didn’t come in on time and often came in *adjusted*…) But now more than ever, it’s all on John. Perhaps when you contacted John, he was in a bit of down-time where he was waiting for parts or something, and could have then helped you with box design and building. Box building hasn’t been on the list of things AE Speakers does for quite a long time, and so if John had the time to do it at all, it would be as a personal favor, not because it was what people typically pay him to do.

A lot changes in two to three weeks.

Where else will you go with your money? Best Buy? Soundsplinter will sell you a driver, but even they won’t also build you a box for it. Best Buy will sell you a boomy box and a stupid driver. Take it from me – your best bet is to continue to support AE Speakers (as a “local” establishment) by buying the high quality AV-series woofer and then find a cabinet shop to custom cut your box panels. (these would be the guys who install cabinets in houses.) John probably wasn’t lying at the time he said he would be able to do it, but like I said, much has changed just in the past three weeks WRT the situation of AE Speakers, and it’s taking a lot of work to keep the momentum going. AE Speakers isn’t a car audio install shop that just happens to build its own drivers. It’s a driver manufacturer first and foremost, and other concerns like box-building sometimes need to fall by the wayside. But like I said, a lot of cabinet shops will cut your box panels. (don’t ask HD or Lowe’s to do it, though – they don’t cut very accurately.)

Scoobydoo on #1972

ya sorry about the overreaction, i was drinking a bit last night and hearing that i wont be able to use the AV driver in my car upset me since i have been looking forward too it for a few weeks just needed to get my money in order first

i want to support them and everytime anyone asks about good drivers for the price i always recommend them, but unfortunately a sub without a box is useless to me

i realize you guys build your own boxes and i could as well, but i have no tools and no place to actually do it except an unattched garage that is about -5 degrees right now

Scoobydoo on #1973

also to answer you question, yes now that i cant get a box from them i will have to use a prefab “best buy” box and 2 10″ RE speakers

that is why i am upset:(

dB on #1974

@scoobydoo wrote:

i realize you guys build your own boxes and i could as well, but i have no tools and no place to actually do it except an unattched garage that is about -5 degrees right now

Unfortunately – John’s having the same problem. The CNC router is down, with an unknown ETA for getting it up. John has product to ship customers that is paid for and is likely going to have to hand cut the foam packagin to get it out the door. Without that CNC he can’t cut your panels – even given time.

R. Buszka on #1975

AFAIK, the AV12 woofers will still do their thing nicely in a 1 cubic foot sealed box for two 12’s (one cubic foot space for each driver). I don’t think there’s any need to settle for less in terms of drivers.

JimRHIT on #1976

Buy the drivers from John, buy the box elsewhere. Any stereo shop in your area will have a premade-carpeted enclosure for a 12″ sub for around $100. You can spend the money on that .. or head over to your home depot and buy a circular saw and some MDF and Carpet. You will only need to be outside for about 1 hour to cut the wood and then you can do the rest of the work (glue-ing, drilling and screwing and carpet) all inside your house on an old bed sheet. Wood glue washes out in the wash if you get it before it dries.

Man … freezing your tail off building boxes is what DIY is all about.

If you would like to settle and buy a best buy box and get some lesser products .. that is your call.

And what is it with everybody posting drunk angry messages lately? This is just a general question. On a few of the other forums that I frequent .. it seems that every out of line comment or anything is later apologized with oops .. PUI .. sorry bout that.

jim
    – built a 4×12″ driver quad ported – 32ft^3 refigerator sized enclosure in 5 degree weather

TeeCee on #1977

If you absolutely don’t want to do the big cuts and the box is not going to be ported, you can make a design where all the cuts can be done at Home Depot or Lowe’s by the staff. You pay like a quarter a cut after the first two. And don’t ask them to trim 2″ off, that’s a “precision cut”, ask them to cut the 24″ peice down to 22″. That’s not a precision cut.

You take it home and assemble it. In fact, if you have a drill, you can still do round vents yourself.

Before I started using fences, I had this done as the saw they have can cut a straight line 8′ across with no variations.

Scoobydoo on #1978

i’ll figure something out, an an AE sub is in my future i know it:)

TeeCee on #1979

Oh yeah, you need a jig saw for the woofer hole.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.