Best dipole woofer if dsp and high powered amp is an option?

Bigdaddy4444 on #1318

Hello,
    I am interested on your best sounding woofer to supplement a full range speaker in OB. The full ranger runs off a 2watt 45 amp so I am planning on bi amping with dsp to power the woofer. Still working through the crossover point but anticipating around 200 hz.
    Is the Dipole 15 still your first recommendation or would the IB15 or one of the TD series woofers provide more musical base with the added flexibility of dsp and high powered amplification?

Or re-worded what would your first choice be for an OB woofer if EQ and amplification could be tailored to work with the driver?

I have heard some people indicate that a high QTS woofer is not their preference for OB, due to less articulation, however I have heard many a system at the opposite extreme with very unrealistic, hyper dynamic bass.
    I think I am looking for the middle ground, and like to avoid as many audio potholes as possible.

Thank You!!!
    Big Daddy

Participant
    stryke on #11249

There are two schools of thought for open baffle. One is for Qts around .5 for better damping. The other is for Qts of 1.0 or higher to give some bump in response to help compensate for baffle rolloff. All of our Dipole woofers are in the middle between those two ranges. The Qts of the Dipole15 is .94 but it has an underhung motor for very good Bl linearity keeping it under that 1.0 range throughout the excursion of the driver. If you want slightly lower Qts the LO15 would be more efficient, lower Qts but have slightly less excursion.

Both will still probably want EQ to supplement the low end.

Bigdaddy4444 on #11250

How about the IB15 or one of the TD series 15″ in open baffle? I realize more eq and amp power would be required.
    Is there any advantage or disadvantage going this route?
    The IB 15 appears to have quite a high Qts.
    How would these sound different compared to a dipole or lo15?
    Thanks!

Participant
    stryke on #11251

In an open baffle application the driver needs to move to higher excursions than with a vented or sealed enclosure. When moving to higher excursions more emphasis is put on linearity in the Bl curve. The underhung motor achieves this much better than an overhung design. That is why the Dipole and LO both use underhung motors. Distortion will be much lower and sound will be more consistent with increased output than with the other options. Additionally much less power is required at lower frequencies lowering thermal distortion.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.