AV18-X

simon5 on #686

Well, since John did a TD18H+, he could make an AV18 in the future, but TD18H+ already uses parts of AV coil/motor design, so it would not be that different, just a different cone material and a longer coil for extra Xmax.

Problem with such a big woofer, is the need of huge enclosures, unless there’s a significant redesign which I doubt John would do, except in the long term.

Stereodude on #7224

@moonfly wrote:

Is there any plans on making one of these in the future, and if not, WHY NOT 😛

I would love to see an 18″ driver, and would without a doubt order 2. Have you guys thought about it, or had any discussions on the subject, I’d love to hear about it if you have :mrgreen:

I’d argue the 15″ drivers work great. Just use multiples if you’re after more output.

Participant
    stryke on #7225

Hi Moonfly,

No real plans for an AV18 at this point. The market for 18’s just isn’t there. I remember when Adire first came out with the 18″ Maelstrom it took something like 2 years to sell through 250pcs. The market just doesn’t justify the investment at this time. Tooling of an 18″ surround and cone are quite expensive. we’d also likely want to go up to a 3″ coil on the 18 to keep motor strength where it should be with respect to the mass. If there was interest out there in maybe 50pcs initially it would probably be worth it at that point.

John

simon5 on #7226

TD18 is about 50% more expensive than a TD15, so that would put an AV18 starting at about 375$ or slightly less… quite a step.

simon5 on #7227

I think the same thing, but heh, the market is currently what it is ! 8)

simon5 on #7228

I will keep you updated if it happens ! 8)

simon5 on #7229

Not now… TD8 still need to get released in volume, then maybe a waveguide… then other versions of the TD6 are also in the pipeline… but probably in the future I guess. 8)

paulk on #7230

Digging up an old thread here, but with the resurgence of the AV line, the new tooling etc and with the success of the TD18’s is there any chance a 18 can be added to the AV line?

-Paul

Participant
    stryke on #7231

It is definitely a possibility. It only requires the money to make it happen. To get to the point where we could be mass producing the 18″ frame from sand cast parts would be an investment of around $20,000. We would need to generate some serious interest for that to happen.

Best Regards,
    John

paulk on #7232

Wow $20G, that’s a chunk. What are the differences between what an AV frame would be vs what the TD 18 uses if your going sand cast vs CNC?

-Paul

Participant
    stryke on #7233

It is a matter of depth. We would need to get an extra 1″ or so depth with the frame to allow for multiple spaced spiders.

paulk on #7234

What would be the cost difference if you CNC’ed the frames like the other AV’s?

Participant
    stryke on #7235

The bigger the piece, the more machining there is and the more the flat plate costs. It costs about $300 just to make a frame for the 15″. The 18″ would be in the range of $500. With casting individual parts we can get that cost down under $100. Tooling would be in the range of $15,000 vs tooling a complete 18″ frame over in China which would be $60,000+.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.