AV15-H Ported Cabinet Size?

sbx on #1361

I have aquired a couple of these drivers and was thinking of putting them in to sealed enclosures, I modelled them in Unibox and they work well in small cabinets, but I was wondering what sort of size ported cabinet they would work in?

Any ideas?

Thanks

sbx on #11390

I will be using a 1000w plate amp hopefully for each cabinet, based on this, any guide lines as to the size of ported enclosure to suit these drivers?

Face on #11391

What application? If you’re looking for the maximum extension from a sealed enclosure, look at the 15S.

sbx on #11392

Hi, I was thinking of building a ported enclosure, I have never done this before, my previous self build was sealed.

That’s why any advice on enclosure size for these drivers would be greatly appreciated. I have modelled the driver in Unibox and WinIsd and see 85l with a butterworth 17Hz HPF keeps everything under xmax, but I could do with some guidance on port size and length and port air velocity.

Thanks

Participant
    stryke on #11396

We typically did somewhere around 5-6 cubic foot per AV15H, tuned just under 20hz for our subwoofers. This was using a pair of 18″ PR’s though that allow for the lower tuning. If doing vented the 85L could work well.

sbx on #11397

@stryke wrote:

We typically did somewhere around 5-6 cubic foot per AV15H, tuned just under 20hz for our subwoofers. This was using a pair of 18″ PR’s though that allow for the lower tuning. If doing vented the 85L could work well.

Many thanks for the info, I used Unibox and WinIsd to model 85L, if I’ve done it right lol, and I think I would need a 2nd order Butterworth HPF @ 18Hz to keep within xmax using a 1000W amp, does this sound correct?

Cheers

Participant
    stryke on #11398

It really depends on what the tuning frequency is as to how much power you can input and where you need to highpass. You also need to make sure you have adequate vent area to not restrict the flow of the port.

sbx on #11393

I was looking at the Marty range of d.i.y subs, I was thinking of trying a couple of the micro subs which are approx105l (3.75cu ft), tuned to 23Hz

Thanks for your help

Participant
    stryke on #11394

That should work fairly well. As it is tuned to 23hz you will probably want the highpass a little higher. 18hz highpass will get you to 1000W without much issue. However, since the port is really not doing much below the 23hz tuning, it would be best to cut a little higher. Around 21hz would be more ideal.

sbx on #11395

Many thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.