AV12 in my car?

Scoobydoo on #79

John,

I have a Kenwood 811d amp and I was planning on running a single AV12 with it

I would be running it at 1ohm and be pushing about 1000 watts to it

Is that too much?

I would also like to get a box built and was wondering how long that would take cause I know you are busy

I am local in the Green Bay area and I have met you a few times, you were nice enough to test some RE 10’s I had the last time I was over at your shop

Anywho, I have the money ready to go and just want to know how long it would take to get set up, thanks:)

MxRacerCam on #1507

1000 watts rms may be a bit too much for a single AV12 imo…. but there’s nothing like having some headroom.

and why not build your own box?? 😉

Admin on #1508

Hi Scoobydoo,

I have AV12’s in stock right now. I think you should be fine with that amplifier. I do have many people running in the 1000W range to AV woofers without a problem.

As for getting the box done, I’m not sure how long it would be before I can get to it. I ran into a guy friday night who may be able to do some work for me on cabinets and boxes. He shoudl be calling me tomorrow, so check back with me in a couple days.

John

Anonymous on #1509

@mxracercam wrote:

and why not build your own box?? 😉

i have no power tools and it is winter right now and i dont wanna build a box in my extremely cold unattached garage

thanks john, i’ll give you a call or stop by your shop sometime this week:)

Anonymous on #1510

oops forgot to log in;)

Admin on #1511

that reminded me to change permissions so people have to be logged in to reply. I did the same thing before. haha

John

xplod1236 on #1512

How much power will the av12/15 handle thermally?

PuffDaddy_d on #1513

@xplod1236 wrote:

How much power will the av12/15 handle thermally?

about 500 watts to reach xmax and up to 1kw thermally. But once you reach xmax, there is no gain in performance by adding more power. If anything, you simply run the risk of shortening the life of the sub.

xplod1236 on #1514

I just got the AV15, and WinISD says I need a 4.3 cu ft box for it. Since it’s going into a car, that box would be a little too big. I did some simulations using a 2 cu ft box with 787 w rms (that’s what my amp, JBL GTO1201.1, puts out at 4 ohms), and I’m still within xmax. Will the driver handle that, or would that be stressing it too much?

PuffDaddy_d on #1515

@xplod1236 wrote:

I just got the AV15, and WinISD says I need a 4.3 cu ft box for it. Since it’s going into a car, that box would be a little too big. I did some simulations using a 2 cu ft box with 787 w rms (that’s what my amp, JBL GTO1201.1, puts out at 4 ohms), and I’m still within xmax. Will the driver handle that, or would that be stressing it too much?

Yes, the sub will easily handle that type of power. Truth is, your amp will only put out that amount at FULL volume. So, listening to normal levels, the amp will be putting out considerably less wattage than that.

Are you trying to port the enclosure or use sealed?

If you are going sealed, then 2 cubes may be okay for the AV15, but if you’re going to port it, then you’ve gotta get a bigger box.

xplod1236 on #1516

I’m going sealed. A ported box would be way to big, and I don’t want to use up all the trunk space with the box. The 2 cubes was a rough estimate. I want to fit the box into the corner of the trunk, and I’m not yet sure what the final volume will come out to be. I’ll try to make it as big as I can, without taking up too much trunk space.

PuffDaddy_d on #1517

if you’re going sealed, then you don’t have to worry about making it as large as possible. The AV12 can do quite well even in a only 1ft^3.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.