Any update dual TD10M/NeoPro5i monitors?

exojam on #3263

Anything new going on with these?

titch on #3264

Im just wondering if anyone built a set yet?

thx

Participant
    stryke on #3265

We have a set here all fully done using active processing with a dBx Driverack 260. If you’re in the Green Bay area you’re welcome to stop by and take a listen. We haven’t done a whole lot more with these yet as the interest for most turned into a 3way project with larger woofers for even more extreme SPL levels. The thread over on AVS has been going for quite awhile now:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1035126

John

Nasty N8 on #3266

You got these sounding right? Got the issue with the ports taken care of? Still a very nice design and should sound very good.

Nate

Participant
    stryke on #3267

@Nasty N8 wrote:

You got these sounding right? Got the issue with the ports taken care of? Still a very nice design and should sound very good.

Nate

I spent some time to get them setup with the dBX Driverack 260. I’ll be transferring the info to the Behringer DCX2496 to do a final comparison. The nice aspect of these is that they are a simple 2way, and the DCX2496 having 3 inputs allows you to biamp all 3 of the LCR. Making all 3 identical can be very beneficial. Next week I can hopefully get a day without rain or wind to take them outside and do some good measurements both on and off axis. I’d like to get the pair down there for you to listen to one of these days too.

Then I’ll be doing a new,more exotic looking cabinet for them and adding the active amp with DSP instead of the DCX2496. They will then be all ready for sale as a completed system.

John

A9X on #3216

Any further update on these? I have 4 shiny new TD10M’s sitting here begging to be put to use.

Is the passive xover posted on the last page available? The link to the .pdf returns an error.

Cheers
    Brett

titch on #3217

I have skimmed through that avs thread and they are all leaning for a 3 way, Im not saying that 3ways are bad. I just like this mtm idea way better. I guess everything has its pros and cons.

I know that these monitors are good for a 300 seat venue. What Im looking for in a speaker is that mid bass drive/punch. These would be able to deliver that in a small home theater? I know this sounds like a silly question for some, but what Im looking for is just alittle reasurance. 🙂

thx

A9X I think John was saying that when he had time he was going to play around with the crossover some more and refine it some more, I think.

cheers

Participant
    stryke on #3218

@titch wrote:

I have skimmed through that avs thread and they are all leaning for a 3 way, Im not saying that 3ways are bad. I just like this mtm idea way better. I guess everything has its pros and cons.

I know that these monitors are good for a 300 seat venue. What Im looking for in a speaker is that mid bass drive/punch. These would be able to deliver that in a small home theater? I know this sounds like a silly question for some, but what Im looking for is just alittle reasurance. 🙂

thx

A9X I think John was saying that when he had time he was going to play around with the crossover some more and refine it some more, I think.

cheers

The main difference is that I needed to move the ports to above and below the woofers instead of next to the ribbon. I haven’t gotten a chance to refine the crossover from the original passive one, but that one still worked quite well. I did get more chance to work with the active Xover, so that is always an option as well.

John

mikela on #3268

Any news on this?

Participant
    stryke on #3269

I’ve really been too busy to pursue things much more on this. Several people working on their systems using the TD drivers over at the AVS forum under the DIY section.

John

titch on #3271

Hello, back again. 🙂

Im looking for 3 new speakers by years end to go across my front stage and I think these would just work great for me, so I have a few more questions. 😀

Im just wondering if you have kits for these?

Could these be place right up against the wall, or afew inches away?

Would 2x 10 inchers be enough to give the big midbass punch/drive?

Do you have any pics of the new box that you can post?

You have a diagram of the crossover that you could show here?

I think I read in this topic somewhere that you were thinking of building some surrounds that would match up with these. Is that still a plan?

I know I got another one but just cant think what it was right now. 😀 Oh well.

thx

Participant
    stryke on #3270

I really haven’t had any time to get back to the MTM design or passive xover. We got it sounding very good using the DCX2496 for active xover for the application we needed, but that is as far as we went. The ideal cabinet design just adds a few inches to the height and has a slot port at top or bottom, or both if preferred. Placing the cabinet in the wall is preferred in most cases as there is no baffle step compensation to deal with.

I’m actually in the process of doing a 3way that may fit your needs also. One of the issues we had with the 3way originally was that we weren’t able to find a 6.5″ to really match with the system. All of the options had massive cone breakup around 4khz, higher inductance, etc. Now that our 6.5″ will be in production shortly, that greatly opens up some options for the 3way system. We’re currently doing a 3way with pair of TD10M’s, the 6.5″ and the RAAL ribbon for a client. We’ll be crossing over to 8 IB15’s at between 60-80hz. The pair of 10’s can definitely provide a huge amount of midbass output down to the 45-50hz range if needed.

John

Participant
    stryke on #3272

For those who are interested, Owen Columbus is working on an MTM using the pair of TD10’s and NeoPro5i ribbon currently. He seems to have more time to dedicate to the project than I have. He’s experimented with a few different options for cabinet sizes and styles as well. You can see his thread here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132884

Looks like the project is progressing nicely.

John

pbc on #3273

@stryke wrote:

@looneybomber wrote:

In your last picture, was that with, or without the notch filter?

In a previous post I asked about using different baffles, particularly one without the ports next to the tweeter. Because you’re getting the interactions that you are, are you going to keep tinkering with that baffle or scrap the tweeter flanking port design and move them to the top/bottom/rear?

Lastly, I like the dual TD15m idea. Both the 5i and dual 15m’s should have the same sensitvity with 2.83v’s…but that introduces beaming (even more so than with the 10’s). Is there a formula to figure out at what frequency beaming starts in relation to driver diameter? I know it happens lower down the bigger you get, but there has to be a way of predicting it, or does the hyperbolic curve of the 15m’s cone help pervent it more so than a strait cone would?

I may have to give you a call tomorrow.

I’m actually going to plan on the taller cabinet with ports above and below the 10″ drivers. This makes for a slightly taller cabinet, but then it doesnt’ need to be as deep either. It gets more reasonable to mount this in some kind of a decorative column on the wall then as well. I had hoped with the sort of horn shape to the faceplate the diffraction issues wouldn’t be so bad, but I was wrong.

The pair of TD15M’s really are overkill for this. The sensitivity seems to be a little less on the ribbon than specified. I did no level matching at all to pull the tweeter down. What you see is what it was. Level is nearly perfect with the pair of 10″ drivers. The 10’s also have thermally and displacement limited output that is a good 6dB or more higher than the ribbon as long as they are crossed above 50Hz to a subwoofer. I could make 16ohm version of the 15″ so a pair would match pretty closely the ribbon, but at that point you’re much better looking at the BMS coax compression driver as in this cabinet here:

A pair of those crossed over at 80hz to a bank of subwoofers will fill a 1000+ person venue quite well. They reached levels of 118dB or so at a mix position 40-50ft from the stage. They would be appropriate for real 300+ seat movie theaters.

John

Sorry to revive and old thread. Would a build like this using two td8’s instead of the 10s and one of the EOS-8 work and provide ample output for say a 5000cubic foot room? Literally thinking of a similar sized box to this…

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion-series-kits/fusion8-mtm-kit.html

Obviously would have to figure out the xover, but thinking aloud about drivers and keeping the box size down for WAF. Would be crossed at around 80-100 to my dual opposed AV15h subs.

Participant
    stryke on #3274

Yes, i think that design would work quite well. The ESO-8 should get down low enough to work well with a pair of TD8X. I would go with about 1 cubic foot, tuned around 55hz. This gives an F3 of 57Hz in case you ever want to go with a 60hz Xover. You can input 250W per driver continually and peaks of up to 500W. That will give you 120-123dB at 1m from each MTM then.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.