Any update dual TD10M/NeoPro5i monitors?

• Anonymous on #245

Hello John,

There was discussion on AVS on this a little bit back. There hasn’t been any update on that thread for a while, I was just curious if there was any news on this. What sort of price point are you looking at for these?

Participant
    stryke on #3219

We have cabinets together and have done some initial listening tests with a standard active Xover just to get a feel for the drivers. Prototype cabinets will be getting painted tomorrow along with a few other cabinets. The following day I will begin doing some in depth measurements for the xover design. I’ll get some pics up of the demo cabinets as soon as they are painted.

John

looneybomber on #3220

For the small peak at 10k are you thinking of adding a notch filter, or just leaving it?

Participant
    stryke on #3221

@looneybomber wrote:

For the small peak at 10k are you thinking of adding a notch filter, or just leaving it?

This is something we would likely address in the DIY version with a notch filter. We need to take a look at the waterfall plots to determine what is really causing this peak and see what the best method is to address it.

John

geoffstgermaine on #3222

I’m very interested in using these as at least the LCR channels in a HT I’m working on. Would using these at the surround channels be overkill?

Participant
    stryke on #3227

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately I don’t have as much to report on the development of these yet as I had hoped. We did get the cabinet out of the spray booth and have drivers installed so they are all ready to go for initial testing. Here is a quick picture I took of the initial cabinet with drivers installed.

More updates to come Wed as I get some measurements to post.

John

Participant
    stryke on #3228

@geoffstgermaine wrote:

I’m very interested in using these as at least the LCR channels in a HT I’m working on. Would using these at the surround channels be overkill?

Well, that really depends on your room size and how loud you determine things need to get. The other thing to look at is the voicing of all speakers in the system. Whenever possible I like to make all the channels identical. You get a much more smooth transition in any surround effects. Most of the lower cost systems we do all use the Seas Coax drivers for all channels for example as long as they meet the SPL requirements.

John

geoffstgermaine on #3223

Wow John, that looks great.

Thanks for the reply. My requirement isn’t for crazy SPL, but matching the channels would be important to me.

exojam on #3224

John,

Looking very nice. Can this be turned on it’s side for a center channel? Thanks.

James

Participant
    stryke on #3225

@geoffstgermaine wrote:

Thanks for the reply. My requirement isn’t for crazy SPL, but matching the channels would be important to me.

Do you have requirements for how loud you do want to go? Not that I wouldn’t like to sell you these kits, but if SPL isn’t one of the main requirements there are some more affordable options available that you could do for all channels. The benefit in these really is for the accuracy and clarity at higher SPL levels, and the dynamics they bring with all the headroom available.

John

looneybomber on #3226

John, are you planning on testing two different baffles, say the one you have there and another with the ports below the bottom woofer and the effect that will have on baffle diffraction?

Nasty N8 on #3229

Man thats a good looking speaker…I could see 5-7 of these in my theater.

Nate

geoffstgermaine on #3230

@stryke wrote:

@geoffstgermaine wrote:

Do you have requirements for how loud you do want to go? Not that I wouldn’t like to sell you these kits, but if SPL isn’t one of the main requirements there are some more affordable options available that you could do for all channels. The benefit in these really is for the accuracy and clarity at higher SPL levels, and the dynamics they bring with all the headroom available.

John

I’d say probably around 105 dB peak at the listening position (reference level). The room I’m using right now is 14×20′ with 8′ ceilings so I figure around 115 dB @ 1m. I’ll be moving into a much larger place in 2 to 3 years so I’d like them to have a bit of growth in them so I don’t have to move up to something else when I move.

Keymaster
    john@aespeakers.com on #3231

hey john those look awsome!!! how much do you think these will run price wise? and what is their freq response and max spl levels?

Participant
    stryke on #3232

Just a quick update here. I tried to do some response measurements at the shop, but I really need a larger area. In the room I can time gate to remove reflections, but i can’t measure low enough in frequency with this method. It’s a little too cold to go outside yet. I’ll be going to the church tomorrow to do the response measurements in the gym so I’ll have more to report for tomorrow. Currently I have just the impedance measurements from the NeoPro5i with a 100uf cap in line for protection, and the TD10M’s in the enclosure:

As with most ribbons, this driver has quite a flat impedance curve with no big issues that need to be addressed.

You can see that the copper faraday in the TD woofer really does it’s job as evident by the very flat impedance curve. It really doesn’t start to rise much until above 5KHz. This makes for a very simple xover design that doesn’t require impedance compensation. Also, the minimum between the two peaks is right at 50Hz, verifying the tuning frequency of 50Hz is accurate.

More measurements and preliminary xover design are coming in the next few days.

John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.